[A83] Re: Symbolic...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Symbolic...

ok.. first...

I have noticed too that when I write a program to perform some operation I
then find it particularly easy to do it without the calculator, maybe the
fact that I wrote it imprints the procedure in my brain... but some things
are still just quicker with calcs...

Second...

IB... the deadliest thing ever...

ok.. Math Higher Level, which is Calculus... is a real pain... not the math,
which is cool, the tests, wich is in 2 parts, and in total lasts more than 5
hours... it's long... you come out of the room and you feel dizzy.. that's
how it is... :(

As PG has said... not only is it hard, but it's long, the time they give
you... 5 hours seems long, but is actually very little for what they ask you
to do...

Our teacher kept telling us that... and that she didn't expect us to get
more than 50% on our first mock :( It so hard that 50% is a C, and some
years 34% is still a C !!

This is just to say that there is no (nearly.. if you are a genius then
that's another story!) way you are going to finish the whole thing with 100%
correct answers if you have no way of speeding up your calculation processes
for everything, derivatites to vector calculus and probability.

Unlike PG (was it?) ex IB teacher, a couple of days ago, my teacher read out
a paper on regulations from the IB for its math exams, and it clearly said
that Symbolic was banned (harsh word!) :( because any type CSA (I wonder why
IB changes CAS to CSA and built-in to inbuilt :) isn't allowed. And that the
only programs that are allowed on the calculator are one that perform
standard operations (such as numerical approximation of intergration) if
they are not supported in inbuilt functions.

-Nicolas Gilles

P.S.: time was running out so it's kind of balbbered...just make some sense
out of it...