[A83] Re: How to create a segment "_seg"

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: How to create a segment "_seg"

Hahaha.

I did a quick Google search, and surprisingly enough, I didn't find any
projects that had already ported it to another platform.

Have you taken a serious look at that code?  It is in no way shape or form
portable.  It's a 16-bit DOS program, and a lot of it is written in
assembly.  It is very outdated.  Did you read Carmack's notes on the
release?  Those were written back in the DOOM days, but he essentially says
a BSP based texture mapper would be much more efficient on 486's.  On any
modern machine, it would be very easy to get a fully playable Wolfenstein
engine going, even with a very naive approach.

My suggestion is to use SDL (www.libsdl.org) and start from scratch with the
game engine.  Get a working engine that runs the original data files, and
work on adding gameplay later.  Porting that code will be an unproductive
nightmare.  Whether you want to go with OpenGL, stick with 2D and do a
raycaster, or do texture mapping by hand is up to you.  There are a huge
number of sites and books on how to do raycasting, so writing one for SDL
would be pretty easy.  If I sat down to do it, I could probably write a
working one a few hours.

Another advantage to redoing it yourself is that it will be your code, and
you can license it however you like.  If you work off of the old code base
(that is nearly ten years old), then you will be stuck with their license.

> Well, you see, I am trying to make a port of Wolfenstein to a windows 95+
> platform, and Ihad never seen segment before.  So, what are you saying I
> should do to get around this problem, delete all segment refrences, or is
> there some code changes that I need to make?

Follow-Ups: References: