[A83] Re: Delays and grayscales

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Delays and grayscales

>Greyscale on the TI83s, using that way, is very difficult. When your
>batteries run out you will see the flicker getting worse and and
>things will look terrible. That's because on the 83, keeping the
>update frequency (almost) constant is very difficult. Updating the
>screen is done "manually". We have to use the Z80, which speed highly
>depends on the battery status.

Wow.. that's some interesting stuff. So you are saying that the speed of
the z80 is dependent of the battery status? That sounds very strange.
Say that the Z80 is running at 6MHz (6mil cycles per sec.), then with
bad batteries you would only get like 4MHz? Isn't there a clock
generator that makes sure that the CPU exectues exactly those 6 mil
cycles per second?

>So when you get a clean picture on the 83, it's mostly just luck. Put
>in other batteries and things look different. This explains why your
>second example looks worse even though it's faster and should look
>better.

:( Then the grayscale routine I have fine-tuned to look great on my calc
may look like crap on other peoples calc, and even on mine when I change
batteries.. not good at all.

I do have some questions on the interlace techniques you explained
aswell, but I haven't got time to read through and think about it
thorougly enough right now (gotta get back to actually _working_ at
work soon :)) but I'll probably be back with more annoying questions
later.. sorry.. :)

Anyway, big thanks for the extensive response!

/Andreas