[A83] Re: Ti-83+ jump

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Ti-83+ jump

The Z80 Microprocessor has addressing space for 65536 (Or 10000h) memory
addresses.
The TI-83 uses only these addresses, so you can jump/call to any of them
directly.

The Ti83+ however, uses more (flash!) memory than the 65536 locations, so
a technique called memory mapping is done.

In this technique, a bigger meory part is divided in chunks of 4000h bytes...
(16 kB)
these chunks are called "pages".
A page can be loaded into memory area 4000h - 7FFFh.
if you'd do a jump/call to 4500h for example, you could end up on any
flash pages that is currently loaded, which may not be necessarily
be the flash page your desired routine is on.

Bcall makes sure the right flash page is loaded before attempting the call,
so you get the right page always.