[A83] Re: Special ram area

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Special ram area

I wonder if the calculator keeps a pointer that points to the next free
location to write to flash.  By screwing with these pointers, perhaps it
would be possible to write programs into the unused flash space which the
app greedily takes up if it is less than 16k.  Then after installing this
program into the flash app, change the pointers back.  Perhaps this could
be a method for installing a font set or maybe TI just does an iterative
search for the next available place every time you attempt to archive
something.
Brandon Sterner

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Peter-Martijn Kuipers wrote:

> > Enough room for fonts...
> > Well, I actually *have* to do it, because I want to use hooks. But I want to
> > have external fonts, which can't be made applications. Hehehe, yes it is
> > possible, but it will be of no use then...
>
> They cant' be made app's, but maybe they can be made into your app....
> Explanation:
> What I mean is that you could have a font description like this:
> .db "FONT" ; or anything that identifies this as a font, must be the same for
> 	   ; all fonts
> .db "name" ; fixed_length name
> ...font data...
> .db "END_FONT" ; or whatever constant you want to identify the end...
>
> you could make a program or script that takes the font data, and put's it into your app at the end, then sign it, ready to be put onto the calc...
> Another script/program might be able to remove specific fonts. an then re-sign
> it.
>
> In your app, you'd need to put a label at the end, and let a routine search for
> fonts from that label on...
> If the first thing after that label isn't the start_font constant, there are
> no external fonts...
>
> Only problem with this is that you'd need to re-install the flash app every
> time you add a new font.
> A good thing is that the user can use the "free" space in the app for fonts,
> instead of letting it go to waste.
>
> --Peter-Martijn
>

> > --
> >     Ronald Teune @School
> >     http://www.zeekoe.cjb.net
> >     http://ti.zeekoe.cjb.net
> >     Anything that's good&useful is made of chocolats
> >
> > Sent through GMX FreeMail - http://www.gmx.net

Follow-Ups: References: