[A83] Re: Compression

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Compression

> > An algorithm that can compress anything is mathematically impossible.
>
> A proof would be nice, although I'm sure you're right.

It makes logical sense, although I don't remember how to write proofs.  You
can't compress anything, because two things will invariably compress to the
same thing.  For some things to get larger, some things have to get smaller.

> This argument is a load of dingo's kidneys. =) For instance, if you have
an
> infinite number of worlds, and not every one of them is inhabited, it
doesn't
> mean that there are a finite number of inhabited worlds. What if half of
them
> are inhabited?

Of course.  But that's what makes his books so funny :)

Follow-Ups: References: