[A83] Re: Compression

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Compression

An algorithm that can compress anything is mathematically impossible.
Therefore, data compression doesn't really exist and any data that appears
to be compressed is just a fluke.  A quote from The Restaurant at the End of
the Universe:

"It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because
there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in.  However, not every
one of them is inhabited.  Therefore, there must be a finite number of
inhabited worlds.  Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to
nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all planets in the
Universe can be said to be zero.  From this it follows that the population
of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from
time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination."

> does anyone know about _any_ compression program?
> I made something in basic (TI, Quick, Visual) but the best 'compression' I
> got was 1,08%

Follow-Ups: References: