[A83] Re: Compression

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Compression

At 04:45 PM 5/22/01 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>does anyone know about _any_ compression program?
>I made something in basic (TI, Quick, Visual) but the best 'compression' I
>got was 1,08%
>
>Cheers,
>        Ronald Teune

For image data, you can do something like having a number of pixels
horizontally or vertically that the color is repeated, and then the color.
You then run a comparison to see if the regularity works better vertically
or horizontally, and encode that one.  Its called RLE or run length
encoding, and work pretty good if there is a lot of white or dark space in
the image.  To compress an executale or an program, then things don't work
as well with RLE because there is little regularity except in the data
tables.