[A83] Re: Scrolling and stuff

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Scrolling and stuff

Actually, It is very possible to program in assembly language directly on
the calculator, but it is a slight (understatement?) pain in the neck.  It
much easier (assuming you don't have a photographic memory), if you bring
along some pages of instruction sheets and memory equates.  I personally
have a little red notebook that has the Z80 instruction set and timings,
port documentation, some memory equates, and other relevant information.

I do know of some people who would actually do this, and while I don't
recommend it, it can be done.  In fact, I often create small programs
directly on the calculator when I need to test something.  Before I run
them, I check them out in the Calcsys dissembler to make sure all the stuff
I typed in turned out as I wanted it to.  And it's not a horrible thing to
do for small programs.  Once you've got it figured out, it's faster that
bothering to assembly it on the computer, send it to the calculator, etc.
However you won't find me trying to write anything over 50 bytes directly on
the calculator...

-Dan Englender

P.S. - We're working on MirageOS 1.2.  It will only be a small update and
wont have any major changes.  For those wondering, MirageOS and Ion both
work on the 83 Plus Silver Edition, as do most games.  There are a few
problems that need to be addressed for the SE in MirageOS, most specifically
the display of free ROM, and the running of BASIC programs.  Those will be
fixed in MirageOS 1.2, but until that time you should be able to get by fine
running 1.1.