[A83] Re: I need help with Ion programming now

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: I need help with Ion programming now

> Copying is relocation.  When you have a '.org progstart', that means that
> the program will be copied to address 'progstart' when it executes.  If
run
> from the TI-OS and the TI-OS doesn't do this, then the program will
almost
> certainly crash.
>
> > well it probably just copies the code instead of doing relocation (just
> like
> > it handles a hex-program)... your program would run, but there is no
> > write-back...

I think if you would ask around on the Ti-85 (and 86) mailinglists they
would say you that relocating is changing the (jp-, call- and ld-) adresses
inside the code, so you can execute the code from any point in memory
(relocatable code)

Copying doesn't do any changes to the code itself (you hope ;-)...
Of coarse, the code is then located somewhere else so it is RE-located,
but...
The programs on the Ti-83 (and 82/83+) are assembled in a way (.org
$xxxx-statement) so they execute from ONE point only.

UsGard on the Ti-85 uses a special table (that has to build into your
program) which has pointers to all the JP's, CALL's, and LD's in your
program, so UsGard can change the whole bunch and execute the program from
right within the variable. (without copying/moving it anyway)

Of coarse they have made a (DOS-)program to make it easy. String85 will
build up such a table (and the UsGard-header) from the so called "map-file"
that your assembler can create.

But on the Ti-82/83(+) we don't have such things.

	Henk Poley