[A83] Re: A programming question for a change :-)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: A programming question for a change :-)

Root/Great Overall Dictator replies:
> At 01:05 AM 6/26/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>
> >Okay,
> >I'm thinking about adding a compressed e-book reader to Nifty,
> >but I'm not sure how I should do it, I have a few different ideas:
> >
> >Compression: Huffman
> >
> >-Compress every page on itself, and put all those compressed pages in a file
> >  (Low Compression)
> >
> >-Compress about 3-5 pages each time, and decompress into a (temporary)
> >  appvar for reading.
> >

> >Any other insights?
>
> compress the book via huffman.  use an executable program on your PC to
> generate the appvars that contain the compressed data.  Decompress one
> (current) page at a time into a temporary buffer (apd).  thats how i would
> do it.

How good is huffman? eg 8:5 or some such

You would only have room for one page (maybe two), as you can get 11x 25+ (up
to 96, which shouldn't happen, variable width font, 24 is the minimum.)=629
bytes minimum. So unless you want to create a program, appvar, etc, you can
only decompress one page into ram.

Hyperbyte, you want to work together, as I mostly have one done, but can't
get either iondetect or my own routine to work. (aside from that it has some
work, and the ever present bugs.)

James Lancaster