[A83] Re: TI-Cares

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: TI-Cares

> I don't see why you expect a large corporation to release the source to
> their encryption for applications.  Anyone in their right mind understands
> that if TI gave you this source code, then all of the trouble they went to
> to protect the applications is worthless.  With that code any company can
> create their own keys, and TI is out $300.  People are scared to release
> the source for non-profit calculator programs, so it follows that a for
> profit source would certainly not be released.
......From my understanding, the rabsig.exe is not a vital part in TI's
security scheme.  The vital part is the private key itself, which is then
"applied" to the application with an algorithm that's probably widely known.
Anyhow, TI's not out of $300 in any case, because they're not selling the
SDK even if you want to buy it :)

> Furthermore, I think that TI is one of the more personable corporations
> when it comes to this.  They condone playing games on the calculators,
link
> to our sites, maintain discussion groups on assembly, often answer our
> questions, and provide ample documentation and tools to work.  All of
which > are at no cost.
.......I definitely agree here.  There's always more that can be done, but
TI's done a pretty good job to help developers.  This increase in
"friendliness" has especially been apparent in the last year or so, with
things like the release of the freeware key, their programming contest
(which I hope more people are planning on entering now, with the freeware
key release), etc.

-Dan Englender

> In general (not just to whom i am replying), quit whining about
> applications.  Everyone should be very happy that the educational key was
> given out for free.  Don't whine about source code, or a rigid set of
> standards.  Just make your applications the way you want to.  If someone
> else doesn't like them, they don't have to download the program.

Follow-Ups: References: