[A83] Re: Faster Multiplication [OT]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Faster Multiplication [OT]

>> You've played some of the assembler games for the 83, I'm
>> sure and have noticed that they are fast.  Well, they are fast because
the
>> people here are not sloppy coders.  Today's Windows games seem about as
>> fast as the games on your 83...that's because of something known as
bloat.
>> The programmers here scrape for every byte they can save and every clock
>> cycle they can save.  Thus, you even have 3D games on that 6 mHz
processor
>> in your 83!!!  (They don't run terribly fast (7-9 fps?), but it does
>> demonstrate that today's 3D games could be smoother, faster, and better
>> looking).

Just like on the Amiga. :-)

>There's money involved in that. Intel pays major (and minor?) software
companies
>to make their games slow, and include unnecessary delay routines into them.
This
>way, people figure they need a faster processor, and so they buy one from
Intel.

If that's true, it's horrible. But, actually, AMD is faster. :-)

>It is also worth noting that Intel probably know how to make faster
processors
>than they're currently selling. (This is just speculative, mind you.) The
guy
>who gave us Moore's Law (computing power doubles every 18 months) was the
>founder of Intel, and naturally they try to stick to his prophecy as
exactly as
>possible.

It could be, I guess. The 'old' technique uses 0.18 micron or 18 micron or
whatever, and there's a V-groove technique, of september 2000, which makes
V-grooves, so the the trakcs can be 0.01 or 1 micron removed from eachother,
thus making very fast computers possible.

>Linus

Torvalds? ;-)

That website didn't work, the server was down.