[A83] Re: Z88DK vs. SDCC

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Z88DK vs. SDCC

> Van: Kirk Meyer <kirk.meyer@colorado.edu>
>

> According to the GCC page, GCC includes an ATMEL AVR port, which is an
8bit
> micro controller. Of course it might have more registers than Z80, or
better
> stack access. I don't know. Note that GCC does work for x86, which didn't
> have too many registers (and only 8 and 16bit). I think it could be done.
>
> Whether or not I would volunteer would depend in large part how
> bad/good/workable the code we're working with looks, and how suitable the
> data structures in their compiler are to dealing with these kinds of
> optimizations.

I was more pointing at porting SDCC, as since it is specialy made for 8bit
processors (primary target was/is the 8051, which has a minimum of 128
bytes RAM), and has already a Z80 frontend, plus it uses the 'same'
techniques as GCC (aka intermediate code etc.). But if you really want to
give it a try with GCC, you can best start at the ATMEL AVR port...

There are some others around here who are looking at porting GCC (I've
heard from a couple of people some months ago [on private mail, btw]). I'll
look if I can "scrape" some more together, some of them have already did
some studying on the subject, might be nice to have them join. And I don't
think I will join, unless I take some more time with my Suse 6.4
instalation, and update\downgrade(!) GCC to the one used by the ATMEL
port... (I think I've read the AVR port was only tested with one version of
GCC)

	Henk Poley