Re: A83: Ultimatum for Hays...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Ultimatum for Hays...

At 11:10 AM 1/6/01 -0800, you wrote:
>no what it says is that if you are fraudulently putting the copyright
>notice on something, like if Hays put one on one of my progs, that
>would be fraudulently putting it on.  it does not say that you can't
>put a notice on you own things.

Read it again.  Especially take notice of the phrase 'that such person
knows to be false':

  (c)FRAUDULENT COPYRIGHT NOTICE. — Any person who, with fraudulent intent,
places on any article a notice of copyright or words of the same purport
that such person knows to be false, or who, with fraudulent intent,
publicly distributes or imports for public distribution any article bearing
such notice or words that such person knows to be false, shall be fined not
more than $2,500.

If you have not registered for a copyright on your code, that copyright
symbol or mention of copyright is false because you do not own a registered
copyright on the code.  This means that you may not put a copyright notice
on your own code and/or documentation.  By doing so, you commit a criminal
offense.  A copyright may be implied but not stated.  Stating that you have
a registered copyright is false and therefore illegal.  You imply copyright
by not mentioning copyright.  Copyright law protects the work.  You state
copyright by putting a copyright symbol or the word 'Copyright' or anything
that represents a registered copyright in your code and/or documentation.

In general, if you do not own a registered copyright, do not state that you
do.

Remember, we're out to get rid of Hays...not get rid of each other.  Let's
play it safe legally and Hays will be toasted...legally.

           Thomas J. Hruska -- shinelight@crosswinds.net
                  http://www.shininglightpro.com/