RE: A83: Ultimatum for Hays...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A83: Ultimatum for Hays...

At 01:30 PM 1/6/01 +0100, you wrote:
>What is exactly the difference between emplied and explicit copyright (you
>need to request copyright or something??),
>and what has the (c) to do with it?
>
>"The (c) symbol and me" - can I use it?

See my previous e-mail.

>(If I can't use the (c) symbol: I've already put programs on the internet
>with the (c) symbol, what is to be done about it?)

I see that you live in the Netherlands.  The U.S. copyright law does not
apply to you.  You have to follow your own country's copyright regulations.
 You might be allowed to use the (C) symbol freely or you might have the
same restrictions as the U.S.  If you don't know, talk to a lawyer about
this issue.  If your country respects the U.S. copyright law and follows it
closely, then you will have unknowingly committed a criminal offense.
Assuming all the previous statements are true, at this point you should
make every attempt to remedy the situation.  Update all of your programs
and re-upload them to the various distribution sites.

Again, you must check your national copyright law on the legal issues
involved here.

>How do I prove that it is my code, and not theirs?
>
>What use has mailing code to yourself? (What are the legalities behind it?)

I don't know how the Netherlands handles this or how the U.S. views the
Netherlands postal system.  See a previous e-mail for details on what
mailing the code in the U.S. does.

>How can I sue an American who has stolen my code, when I live in Europe (the
>Netherlands)?

Again, Netherland-U.S. international law is the issue here.  It will be
difficult to get a lawsuit going overseas versus a U.S.-based lawsuit.

My best answer for you is to talk to a lawyer about the situation.  Right
now you can't do anything to Hays.  You have to write a new game or a
program, somehow secure your source code (I do that through my country's
mail system), wait for them to duplicate it, and then sue them.

           Thomas J. Hruska -- shinelight@crosswinds.net
                  http://www.shininglightpro.com/

Follow-Ups: References: