Re: A83: Calling all great programmers!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Calling all great programmers!

Telnet is just a protocol for text interfaces over tcp/ip.
(yes, it is a protocoll, it has controll codes for cursors and all kinds of
stuff,
it is not just plain text)
the program telnet is ofcourse a program that connects
to a port on another computer and speaks telnet protocol with it...
Telnet is not only used for opening shellaccess for remote users. (in fact,
it is almost never
used for this today, since today there is ssh for remote shells, wich is
much better, and supports crypto)
I have seen everything from BBS:es, and Tetris, to Polish Traintimes and
the Swedish Law distributet via telnet.

There is no functions in telnet(the protocol) do download files, you can
though run other protocols
on top of telnet for file transfer. sz and rz is a programpair for
unixboxes to send
files via zmodem, that you can use for files. Good telnetclients för
windows recognizes zmodem
codes comeing, and automatically goes to zmodem transfer mode.
I prefer ftp for filetransfers though, or even http, but its not always
possible.
I think many people confuse telnet with the program that they run on
the other computer. telnet is just the protocol for communication.
has nothing to do with how something appears on the screen. (exept maybe
that it is
usally text...)
lynx is not always installed. quite common though.
but if you use that for downloading a file on the web, it will land on the
computer
you run it on. ("shell"), and then you have to get it to your computer too.
///Olle