Re: A83: Compiling Asm prog[83+]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Compiling Asm prog[83+]

Yeah, it really is a shame that there aren't many tools available for linux.
The biggest problem is that no one releases the source code for stuff.  If
the code to DevPac83 and Devpac8x were available, I could have just
recompiled them, but instead I had to write my own program (Bin2Var) to
assemble for 83/83+ on Windows 2000.  If there is enough demand, I might
make an Assembly Studio 8x compatible (i.e. tasm compat but with only the
stuff you actually need) assembler that will run on linux.  I will probably
be lazy and have it use the GCC preprocessor.  If you want one, email me
personally and say "yeah, I want this" otherwise I'm not going to bother.

As for emulators under Linux, there aren't any at the moment (except Tiger
which is 92 only).  I heard rumor that there will be a version of Virtual TI
that will run on Linux (and Mac), but I can't say anything else about it, so
everyone will have to wait and see.  Once the C++ version of Kylix is
completed, there is a chance of a port of VTI to Linux, but until then, it's
doubtful that it will happen.  An emulator isn't too terribly difficult, but
the main feature is the debugger and all the cool features, which take time
and are hard to do without a GUI OS.  And without a GUI builder, it really
sucks to write those.

> But sorry for the compiler, they only one available to my knowledge if
> tasm v3.1 compiled for kernel 1.1, you can get it at joewing's site
> (joewing.calc.org) and if you're lucky you might be able to run it.
> Personally my kernel is configured only for ELF32 binaries so it won't
> run. Otherwise I found a nifty GPL z80 assembler but it doesn't support
> includes, arithmetic or definitions/macros. Good Luck!

Follow-Ups: References: