[A83] Re: Randomization

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Randomization

At 13:42 2001-12-11, you wrote:

>Most processors have a stored list of "random" numbers.  They aren't
>randomly generated in real-time...that's why they are called
>pseudo-random...I'm not sure if this is how the calculators give random
>numbers

Not really. They don't have a list stored, but an more or less simple
algoritm that gives you the same next number for each given starting number
(seed).
A simple algoritm -> fast, but less random (less evenly distributed numbers
over the chosen interval)
more advanced -> slower, but more evenly distributed.
True random is impossible in a system like a processor, that is why it is
called "pseudo-random", this and the fact that each seed gives the same "list".
But there is no list stored...

///Olle

Follow-Ups: References: