A83: Re: Question About Ti-83 Plus

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A83: Re: Question About Ti-83 Plus

Well, I might be a bit biased, but I'll try to answer anyhow :)

Best shell: Well, I personally like MirageOS the best, but that may be
because I wrote it.  It does have the most features, and unless there's a
particular reason you want to use another shell, it would probably be the
way to go.

Garbage Collecting: I'm not sure why you would want to garbage collect.  The
calculator automatically garbage collects when the archive is full.  If for
whatever reason you want to do it manaully, you can get the GarbageCollect
command from the catalog.

Utilities of Flash ROM: I'm not sure what you mean by this.  If you mean
Flash applications, then other than the ones sold by TI, there's only three:
Calcsys, PuzzPack, and MirageOS.  As for the ones sold by TI, I would get
them unless you actually need it for something.  The periodic table
application has a ton of data, but it's only neccesary if you're doing a
bunch of chemistry stuff.  The inequality graphing is probably meant for
Algebra I or perhaps Algebra II.  The Interactive Graphing is a nice way to
learn some concepts (ie. transformations on conics and trig functions), but
is not much good other than that.  The Organizer is an organizer.  If you
want that sort of thing, you may want to get it.  At this point, there's no
real good way to damage your Flash ROM at all.

Reset after Crash: The 83 Plus is actually much better about being reset
than the 83 was.  It will almost always reset itself after a crash just by
the press of the [on] button.  If this doesn't work, you can try the hold
down [on] while putting a battery in trick, or holding down apps+[on] while
doing the same.

You can't run MirageOS in VTI because VTI does not support the Flash ROM of
the 83 Plus.  You can, however, run it in TI's Flash Simulator which you can
get for free from their SDK web page (http://www.ti.com/calc/docs/sdk.htm).
If you're planning on loading programs into the simulator, be sure that you
link them with devpac8x and not devpac83 (the simulator will not accept
files linked with devpac83).

Difference between ASM83 and ASM83P: Do you mean differences in programming
assembly for the two calculators?  If so, then there aren't that many
differences (assuming you're programming RAM programs, and not
applications).  Just make sure that you use the bcall macro to call ROM
routines, instead of just calling them.  The VAT is a bit different, but you
probably shouldn't be accessing the VAT directly anyhow :)  It's generally
not a great idea to use statram on the 83 Plus, but you have a new 768 byte
buffer that can be used for whatever you wish, appBackUpScreen.  Accessing
the link port is slightly different, use 00,01,02,03 for the four different
values (port is still zero).  ChkFindSym returns an additional piece of
information on the 83 Plus.  Register B will hold the Flash ROM page that
the variable is on (or zero if variable is in RAM).  This is important to
know if you plan on accessing variables.

ZDS vs TASM: My philosophy is that if you're programming an application, use
ZDS.  Otherwise, use TASM.  Linking a RAM program with ZDS is much more
complicated than TASM, but ZDS has some nice features that are worth using
for applications (which ZDS will link just fine).

Hope this helps,
-Dan Englender