A83: Re: 3 bits free in symboltable entry? [83]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A83: Re: 3 bits free in symboltable entry? [83]

The 85/86 do not have directories.  They merely allow all variables to have
a name consisting of up to 8 characters.  There is an unused byte in VAT
entries on the 86, so most shells use this byte for organizing programs into
folders in shells.  Dux and I discussed the possibility of real directories
on the 86 a couple of years ago, but didn't figure out how to make it
completely transparent to the OS.  On the 86, I thought it would be nice to
have a tar/zip type program, that would compress multiple variables into
one, similiar to how you can group files on the 83+ (if I remember
correctly, I used my free TI-83+ for about ten minutes before decided the 86
was still way better, and now a friend has it).

Though I'm sure someone on this list knows if the bits are free (they
probably are), the way to test is to look at the VAT entries with the VTI
debugger and see if they ever change.  If they stay cleared, or if you can
set them and they stay set and it doesn't screw anything up, then they are
most likely free.