A83: Re: Re: Crashing Trouble

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A83: Re: Re: Crashing Trouble

> This leads me to the conclusion that the App names are read from each app
in
> Archive space each time the apps button is pressed
....Yes

> Perhaps there is a shadow VAT for archived programs in flash.
....Yes.  Or sort of anyhow.  There is VAT data stored in Flash, but it's
not a direct copy of the VAT as stored in RAM; the format is different.  The
actual entries are the same (though in foward instead of reverse order), but
the data for the variable is directly after the "VAT" entry in Flash.  The
Dev Guide actually has some information on this on pages 44-47.

After a RAM reset, and before intialization of RAM variables, VAT entries
are recreated in RAM for the archived variables.  (This is why if you change
an attribute (ie. folder, protection, etc) of an archived program in the RAM
VAT, and your RAM is reset, it will go back to the attribute from when you
originally archived the program).

In some specific circumstances (which I don't currently know) the calculator
is reset in a fashion that forgoes recreating the variables, as you
mentioned (perhaps legacy code from the TI-83).  If the calculator is
"normally" reset, it will recover these variables (or you could run the
archive recover program).  I haven't tried, but a garbage collect would
probably also do the trick.

-Dan Englender