From: owner-assembly-83@lists.ticalc.org
[mailto:owner-assembly-83@lists.ticalc.org]On Behalf Of Dan Englender
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 11:00 PM
To: assembly-83@lists.ticalc.org
Subject: Re: RE: RE: A83: Apps, adding to current menues

1) No.  :)
To correct your code:
First, you want to load HL with the address of the key hook routine.  I'm
actually not sure what you meant by $1B, but since $1B would be an address
in the ROM, I'll assume this is not where your keyhook routine will be
located :)  And you want to 'in a,(6)' not 'ld a,(6)'.  You're not loading
the value in memory address 6, you're inputting the value from port 6 (which
happens to be the current ROM page).
That said, the "best" way to set a the key hook is to use the ROM entry
point that I mentioned.  It takes up much less space to do it that way and
accomplished the same task.  I just provided the code of what the entry
point did so you could see exactly what was going on.

2) The calculator is different from what you might be used to on the PC.
There is no multitasking (no comments from the peanut gallery please...),
only one thing is running at a time.  When you quit from the program to
TIOS, TIOS is running, your program no longer is.  However, if you set the
key hook, TIOS will call (that is, run a certain routine) in your program
(or application in this case right?) when the key "events" occur.

3) Refer to answer to question one.  You need to set the address of the key
hook routine.  Keep in mind that the main reason you must do this from an
application is that if you try to do it from a program, the address of your
routine will not stay in a constant place in memory.  (Of course you could
be sneaky and make a program that was the first thing in the archive, and
then it wouldn't move around...but that's more trouble than it's worth).  If
you have an application, the location of your routine will stay in a
constant place, and on a constant page.

-Dan Englender