Re: A83: Shells on the 83+

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Shells on the 83+

In a message dated 1/30/00 6:44:02 PM Central Standard Time,
kaypictures@clara.net writes:

> A signing even for a minor update... I thought they'd give you that much!!
>  Anyway, a) you havn't replied to my response to your response b) I already
>  answered the question (Petty, I know.... But I --HAD-- to point it out
;-).
> Will your new shell be compatible with Ion?
>
>  --Robin Kay--

The shell will be compatible with ION, yes... That means we must correlate
with the system ION uses to manage and execute programs. There will also be
types of programs that are specifically compatible with the shell, and not
with ION. Such programs can make use of all the new built in routines we plan
on using, as well as ION's routines, which are also being included.

It is possible that for programs specifically compatible with our shell, can
have a Bit in its header, that notifies whether or not it needs to be written
back. In that case, the program can be simply copied to Ram, and executed
there, rather than unarchiving it, executing/altering it, and rearchiving the
program. Having this method would save the number of writes to FlashROM that
the user will have. Does that compromise enough? I hope you see why that cant
be done with ION progs, because most of the existing ones do use program
write back, and I dont plan on rewriting every ION prog there is for this
shell... Most people should and will create programs for ION, since this is
the latest TI-83 shell, and so that they can be compatible with everything.
However there will be the ability to program specifically for the 83+ shell
using more features...

Jason_K