RE: A83: Poll

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A83: Poll

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-assembly-83@lists.ticalc.org
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 19:31
To: assembly-83@lists.ticalc.org
Subject: Re: A83: Poll

> A file info screen would display information like # of lines, # of
> words/chars, file size, free ram, file name, whether or not it was
> saved or  not.

There's one thing with that suggestion that I find bugs me.  I'm not
sure about everybody else -- after all, this list isn't yet a hive
mind -- but anyway...

Most of the statistics you list are for convenience -- you could look
up the free RAM in the TI-83 memory screen, SOS, ION readouts, etc.
File size could be accomplished also by using existing facilities.
The file name wouldn't be too useful -- after all, one doesn't really
need the name when they've got the description at hand.

Convenience is something that, if you're trying to keep file size as
tight as possible, is a trait that must be sacrificed to a certain
extent regardless of the amount of optimization done.  This applies
especially to the limited memory of the TI-83, where the tendency of
the demographical majority of TI-83 program users (viz. high-school
teenagers) try to cram as much stuff into the memory of the TI as
possible*.

I must agree, however, that the # lines and # characters can come in
handy.
And the "dirty/changed" flag is also a good idea.

- --- --- ---

Oh yes, a potential bug in TxtView:
When I switch to the custom font, the "n" appears as an "M" (I'd have
to verify this by looking at the output again, but I'm pretty sure
that that's the right character).  It's a rather trivial bug that can
be worked around with by using a bit of deductive reasoning and the
surrounding context, but there are just some people out there that
just don't think...

*ANTI-FLAME NOTE I -- I wrote "majority", which certainly does not
imply that _every_ member of said societial segment does this.
*ANTI-FLAME NOTE II -- Everything written here is, of course, my
opinion.