Re: AW: A83: ZeS

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: AW: A83: ZeS

>Hey Sam, why don't you split the game into 2 ( or more) parts, to allow
>more games (and other (math) games) to be on the calc. I don't know if it
>was possible, but if the game allows it, you could give out a password
>after a certain level in the game has been reached.
>Greez
>	Sebastian

I originally thought about doing that, but it turns out that the amount of
work (and bytes) required to externalize the maps is greater than the value
of the bytes saved. All of the maps in the game take up about 5.5K (maybe a
little more). If I divide the game into 2 parts, the maximum amount of
memory freed up would be 2.25K. Subtract from that the number of bytes to
pull off the division, and you're looking at maybe 1.5K free.

1 28K program will NOT divide into 2 14K programs. It just wouldn't work
because Part 2 would require the same background sprites and program code as
Part 1 (or would Link lose his sword in Part 2?). The only area (other than
the maps) that could be divided would be the enemy sprites and routines, but
that is an even bigger headache and saves even less bytes than dividing the
maps. Not to mention the problem of getting Joe Gamer to figure out how to
work with external saved games and maps.
   Sam