Re: A83: I need help!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: I need help!!

In a message dated 03/21/99 5:29:38 PM, jimbob_v@hotmail.com writes:

>About my Alien Breed game. You requested more
>information about how it works.
>The data for the levels is stored in Pics 1-4.
>There are different pixel combinations for
>what is in the corresponding block. These
>combos are stored in 2*2 blocks of pixels.
>eg. a wall looks like this:

I see nothing in this space, is there suppose to be something here?
btw, how many different combonations does that allow you to do?

>in the picture. The picture is made up of
>many combos like this. The decompression
>program goes through the picture
>translating the combinations into number in
>Matrix [A].

Ok, you say "translating into numbers" so in the ASM prog you could just start
off by storing the data as numbers.  Tell me, is this data constant and
defines what the level looks like, or do the pixel combonations change
throughout the program? if that Are constant, then you could very easily store
the numerical data and read from that later.  Oh yeah, and after you translate
that pixel data in your Basic program, what does the program do with the
numbers?

>And yes, the program is in BASIC.
>I might just have to reprogram the whole
>game in ASM, which will take a while, as I
>still don't know heaps.
>I'll check out the tutorials I keep seeing
>mentioned, and see if I can learn a bit from
>them too.

Yeah, keep reading up on tutorials, and I say dont jump right into converting
this game to ASM, becaus ethat would take you a while or bug the hell out of a
few more experienced programmers if you make them do all the work for you, so
start small while learning ASM...

>I DON'T know what the ".db"
>statements are, well I can guess: Are they
>just stored data?

Yes, the store data in an ASM program. An array of data can be stored like
this...

Data:
	.db 0,1,5,0,3,6,2,8
and doing something like...
	ld a, (Data)
would put a '0' into the register 'a'. Doing...
	ld a, (Data+4)
would put a '3' into 'a'.

>Any help will be appreciated. Thanx.
>
>James Vernon
>jimbob_v@hotmail.com

Sure, but I cant help you directly on your game since theres so much other
stuff going on, and many other programmers on this list are busy as well with
their own projects, so dont be surprised if you dont get much assistence. Just
try to go learn ASM through tutorials on your own right now, and get familiar
with the language. Hope I could be of help. cya... =)

--Jason K.