Re: A83: nothing important

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: nothing important

> Can I program be samller or faster in BASIC than ASM if the code is well
>  optimised ?

I did a small test with CalcEm--two programs, one in BASIC, the other in
unsquished ASM, that did a very simple job--clearing the screen.

The BASIC program was 12 bytes.  The ASM program was 31 bytes.

Now before I get flamed about this, let me bring to light a few things:

I know that people will make far more complex programs than this, and then the
same rules may not apply.  HOWEVER, unsquished ASM programs have a lot of
"wasted space" (i.e. the End and 0000 tokens, not to mention that each
instruction takes 4 bytes + data).  Also, squished ASM programs require a
shell or ZASMLOAD, which tacks on an extra 670 bytes or so (and with ZASMLOAD,
free memory >= program size.)

So...ASM is good for speed, flexibility, and power. BASIC is good for size
optimization.

If you get different results, tell me...

--David