Re: A83: 16X16 Sprite routine

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: 16X16 Sprite routine

In a message dated 7/22/99 3:51:16 PM Central Daylight Time, Edub311@aol.com
writes:

> just wondering, whats the difference between aligned and non-aligned
sprites?
>  I saw that alot in movax's sprite routine.
>
>                                                      thanx,
>                                                      Bud

Aligned and Non-Aligned have to do with the coordinates at which you place
the sprites. They are considered Aligned if their X Coordinate is a Multiple
of 8 (i.e. 0,8,16,56,80) and those are easier and faster to place the sprite
data onto the screen, because they are writing to fixed bytes in plotsscreen.
If the X Coordinate of the sprite is not a Multiple of 8, then they are
Non-Aligned, and it means you first have to find the byte it starts in on
plotsscreen, then shift all the bits in the sprite data over a certain
amount, to get it to start on the correct pixel of the screen. This procedure
takes longer to do in sprite routines. Tilemap routines generally use 8x8
aligned sprites which can make them pretty fast, and a tilemap that uses
16x16 is prolly just as easy and fast... Did that original poster get the
LargeSprite routine from ZGFXL to work, or is he needing a 16x16 sprite
Tilemap Routine...? Speak Up. :)

Jason_K
TCPA Member
tcpa.calc.org