Re: A83: Contest II (MUL/DIV)...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Contest II (MUL/DIV)...

At 10:25 PM 7/16/99 +0200, you wrote:
>In accordance with the prophecy, Thomas J. Hruska uttered:

 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Cute intro :)

>Oh yeah? So that when some <inconsiderate remark about beginners here>
writes A*4 in a program, your TAZM will do
>a cumbersome multiplication instead of the user actually learning that a
>logical shift left is both quicker & cleaner?

TAZM's IDEAL mode will automatically catch this and figure out which is
faster and smaller.  IDEAL mode is not only a code expansion tool, but also
an optimization tool.  It will point out places in the user's code that
could be *visually* optimized (warnings only), but it will *automatically*
be optimized by TAZM.  Thus, the user WILL learn about optimizations that
can be made without being an "advanced" programmer.

FYI, I have a lot of patience, but it dwindles quickly when people start
thinking the world revolves around them...especially programmers who slam
beginners (or even "advanced" programmers), thus discouraging them from
programming.  You too, Linus, were a beginner once, just as I was, and
everyone else on this list.  We are programmers here...who help others.  I
really wish you wouldn't slam/flame beginners...but that is only a wish
<sigh>.

BTW, I look forward to your entry in this contest!

           Thomas J. Hruska -- shinelight@crosswinds.net
                  http://www.shininglightpro.com/

Follow-Ups: References: