Re: A83: [Q] Relocatable program loader?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On 31-Jan-99, addui sp, sp, 0x0214 (addui@worldnet.att.net) wrote:

>Hey,

>Has there ever been in work on a relocatable program loader
>similar to the one on the TI-85? What are some the elements
>that would be required to make something like this happen?

>Any ideas?

>--
>addui

I had some ideas about that some time ago, but it would require a reloc table
in addition to the object code. All old programs that run from 9327h would
have to continue being run from there, but the new ones would run from their
program file.

Loaders like the one in sos already accomplish most of the advantages, so I
don't think it's worth working on. However, shared code (like my menu
emulator lib) can be written in a relocatable way if you make it 100%
pc-relative.

Linus

.--> ____
|    \OO/     -  -- --- ------ Linus Akesson -- http://fly.to/linus.world -.
            Without C people would code in Basi, Pasal and Obol
            ----> MrCookie v1.1 (text/misc/MrCookie.lha) <-----