Re: A83: Quite + Ideas

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Quite + Ideas

On 24-Jan-99, Jimmy Conner (timagic@yahoo.com) wrote:

>  Man the list is quite.  Why couldn't it have been this way when I
>didn't have time to program instead of now???   Oh..well...

>  This may get it talking again.  I'm thinking about making a asm
>extension on basic.  The article on ticalc got me thinking again.  It
>wouldn't be that hard to do and could be small but the question is,
>should I??  Why not just let them learn asm???
>  What i think, is that if we add an extension, then the basic
>programmers will say "Hey, they can really do some neat stuff in asm,
>lets try to learn it."  For now, they just play our games and go on
>there merry little way, but if we include them in asm scence while
>they program basic, they may get hooked faster.

>  Thats my thoughts on the subject.

>Jimmy

First of all, the egoistic part of me doesn't want any new asm coders. =) No
really, I don't want programs that crash. And people who've learnt various
asm languages the hard way, i.e. the kind of people thinking "wow, you can
code the ti-83 in asm!" rather than "wow, I wanna code a gaaaaame." tend to
write more crashproof programs. But there are of course flaws in this
reasoning.

Anyway, how would you implement such a basic extension? Send9ing a special
loader prog, passing the arguments in A, B, C etc.? Because that is sooo
unprofessional. Some patch to modify the parsing routines would be way
better, as it would work in the normal calculator mode aswell, but that's
impossible (i.e. probably possible) to implement.

Linus

.--> ____
|    \OO/     -  -- --- ------ Linus Akesson -- http://fly.to/linus.world -.
          Thesaurus: ancient reptile with an excellent vocabulary
          ------> MrCookie v1.1 (text/misc/MrCookie.lha) <-------