Re: A83: learning asm

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: learning asm

On 11-Feb-99, James Matthews (matthews@tkb.att.ne.jp) wrote:

>Yep, then he went on to create the latest version of Quake with John Carmack
>himself, since Carmack heard of Linus' superior skills to his own...etc.,
>etc.  Of course, for those of us LESSER than (drum roll, please) Linus, my
>tutorials are a good way to go, since too much of the specs and stuff assume
>prior knowledge.  The TI-documentation is a little confusing without prior
>knowledge too...like it makes wonderful sense to me now, but not when I was
>a newbie.

Might be true. Though the odds that you have that prior knowledge are pretty
high when you need a graphing calculator & like to program it. At least I
thought so.

>>I actually tried looking at the spaze invader source code once, but when I
>>saw how terribly it had been coded (sorry Hannes =)) I gave that up.

>Of course!  You'll notice how Hannes' sprite routines are used in just about
>EVERY ASM game released for the 83.  Although, I seem to remember Movax
>saying it was a little screwed up in places, but I wouldn't call it
>"terrible" by ANY stretch of the imagination.  But, I suppose I'm talking to
>Linus here...SO I suppose he sees things differently.

The fact that they are used doesn't mean that they are good. (I always write
my own "sprite" routines, adapting them for the particular program I'm
working on.) And it wasn't the sprite code I found terrible, it was the
beginning of the program.

>></brag>

>Lol, notice how you never OPENED that tag to begin with...sounds like you've
>been bragging ever since you joined this fucking list.

Hmm, you're right, I'm bragging too much (on this list anyway), but (tehehe)
what else can I do? =)

>>Besides, James' tutorials are nowadays written as a windoze 95 help file,
>if
>>I remember correctly. I mean - windoze 95! Who on earth is using windoze!?

>Yeah, Windows, who uses that?!...HAHA!!  Stupid me.  Shut the hell up...
>Plus, there ARE HTML versions, and soon a version in Dutch and French too...

I know, Jimmy told me. And I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, it's just that
I get sooo annoyed sometimes. =)

>>Linus

>Love always, James.

Ditto, Linus

                                                           \\//
                                                          [o][O]
| Linus Akesson                                | http://fly.to/linus.world |
             Marriage is grand - and divorce is about 10 grand.