Re: A83: (no subject)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: (no subject)

Where did you get that crazy definition from?

But actually, the dictionary in Microsoft Encarta 2000 has this for the
definition:

1. 1,000 years: a period of 1,000 years, especially a period that begins or
ends in a year that is a multiple of 1000.

4. thousandth anniversary: a thousand-year anniversary, especially the one
in the year 2000

The encyclopedia goes on to say:

[-- snip --]

Although January 1, 2000, will be popularly celebrated as the beginning of
the 3rd millennium, there are differing beliefs about when the new
millennium actually begins. The Western dating of the millennium is based on
the Gregorian calendar, which is the most globally recognized system for
marking the passage of years.

According to the Gregorian calendar, the next millennium does not begin
until January 1, 2001. The Gregorian calendar follows the AD (Latin anno
Domini, "in the year of our Lord") system introduced by Christian monk
Dionysius Exiguus in the 6th century AD. The AD system counts time from the
year Jesus Christ was born. Dionysius dated Jesus' birth in the year AD 1
rather than in AD 0, because Roman numerals, which were still in use, had no
symbol for zero. In this dating system, each century begins with a year
ending in 01 and ends with a year ending in 00. For example, the 19th
century began in 1801 and ended in 1900. Therefore, December 31, 2000, will
end the old millennium, and January 1, 2001, will mark the start of the next
millennium in this dating system.

Some people believe the new millennium, as marked by the birth of Jesus,
began several years earlier than 2001. According to many scholars, Dionysius
made various errors in calculating Jesus' birth date. Historical evidence
indicates that Jesus was actually born in 4 BC or earlier. As a result, the
2,000-year anniversary of the birth of Jesus may have occurred sometime in
the 1990s.

Other people believe that the change to the new millennium lasts a period of
33 years, corresponding to the life span of Jesus. According to some
historians, the year 1033-regarded by many people as the 1,000-year
anniversary of Jesus' death-resulted in widespread millennial fervor in
which people made pilgrimages to Jerusalem and anticipated the destruction
or renewal of the world. Some people have predicted that the year 2033 will
have millennial significance as well and will be viewed as the date that
marks the beginning of the new millennium.

About two-thirds of the people in the world use religious or ceremonial
calendars in addition to the Gregorian calendar. For example, January 1,
2000, on the Gregorian calendar will be the year 1420 on the Islamic
calendar, 5760 on the Jewish calendar, and 4697 on the Chinese calendar.
However, even people who use these other calendars are aware of the global
significance of the Gregorian calendar years 2000 and 2001.

[-- snip --]

So anyway.. 3 days left. :)

--
Bryan Rabeler
rabelerb@pilot.msu.edu

"The last thing we want is a "cover-up."  ...there's no reason to take out
intelligent and purely speculative posts. Even if they're true." - Chris
Dornfeld, 4 November 1998