Re: A83: Negative numbers

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Negative numbers

What, there a difference? Let's talk bytes here: -1 is the same as 255, right?
Because 255 + 1 = 0 and -1 + 1 = 0. Let's talk words: -1 is the same as 65535.
65535+1 = 0, -1+1=0, -1+65535 = 65534 = -2. You probably know all this before,
because this is the way numbers are stored anyway. The thing is, the assembler
doesn't make any difference between them. That is one great example of the
difference between c and asm: Asm will always work, although not necessarily
correctly.

Linus