Re: A83: TI and their Calc OSs

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: TI and their Calc OSs

> Miles Raymond wrote:
>
> If they released info and a few test calcs to the ticalc.org
> community, a better, more efficient OS could be made.  I still think
> that TI would have to write the actual math functions.  But at least
> the people will have a say in what how the OS in ROM interacts with
> the user, such as Philip Gossling's WinCE 86 shell/OS.  If would
> release a way to call all of their math-related functions from an OS,
> and store the OS on a Flash BIOS, the user could have the OS of their
> choice.  The WinCE 86 would be an excellent OS, because of it's
> scalability.  The user could dump as many OS 'features' as is his
> desire into the Flash BIOS.  Or,  on the other hand, add as many TI
> math functions to the Flash BIOS as is his content.  This would lead
> to diversity.  Competition breeds quality.

I dont think it is a very good idea from ti's side to not have an os
controlled by themselfs.. If they do all the developement by themselfs
then they have much more controll of the final product.
So I dont think they should stop doing their own os.  But! now with the
ti-89, that have flash-rom, there will probably pop up lots of
alternative os. And this is nice! and could be very interesting. But I
think it feels safe to have at least one os that is controlled by ti,
and can be "trusted" to a greater extent.. after all, they are designing
the hardware too, and knows best about the calc. And I trust TI more
then a bunch of happy hackers, that the ticalc.org community is :)
So my opinion is. Multiple os, yes! but Ti should not stop making their
own os.

//Olle

Follow-Ups: References: