Original text

From: "James Matthews" <matthews@tkb.att.ne.jp>, on 11/9/98 7:46 PM:

> Why DOS ran faster on my 4.77Mhz 8088 w/64k of
> ram than Windows 98 does on my 233Mhz Pentium II w/64m of ram?  Because
> programmers get sloppy and write everything in high level languages.

Just had to stop you here...would you like to see a Windows 98 written in ASM?
Nah, me neither :)...they're not getting sloppy
by using a HLL.  But I admit, the Win95-98 series is slow, but for other
reasons.

> On fast machines, it makes sense to develop in C and write time critical
> routines in assembly, but only because of the time requirements.  For the
> 83, C would make large, slow programs.

Couldn't agree more...look at Ti-BASIC.  Urgh.

> Some proof of this is the TI-89/92.  They have a 10Mhz 68000 which is a
> fairly fast processor.  The rom was written in C, and it shows.  Many things
> are slugish compared to the other 8x calculators, because the roms were
> written in hand optimized assembly.

Pat got any comment on this?...it'd be interesting to know what your input is.

Later,

James.