Re: A83: ti-83 slow???

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: ti-83 slow???

> I think the reason TI-83's seem slow is because the screen is passive-
matrix.
>  This means the screen blurs when fast motion occurs, and makes the game *
> seem*
>  slower. In reality I think the 83 is as fast as or faster than an 82.
>
>  John Perkins
Sorry buddy, but the screen on the 83 is the exact same as on the 82, hardware
and software wise. The two calcs run at the same speed.. which is the same
speed as the 85 6mhz Zilog chip. But the 85 has a memory-mapped display which
makes the graphics much faster. The 82 and 83 have a display port. Until
recently all 83 programs would use the graph_mem to write the graphics and
then do a slow call to the ROM to update the display. While most 82 programs
just accesed the port directly... hence the speeds are the same, but sometimes
the 83 programs are slower