A83: Trig. program. displays answers in radical and pi form!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A83: Trig. program. displays answers in radical and pi form!

<for assembly mailing list subscribers, please read on, this pertains to
you at the end of the message>

On the ti-92, if you type in cos(45) (degrees), it shows \/(2)/2
\/(2) = square root of 2
if you do it on the 83, cos(45) = .7071067812

i have written a program that converts answers to trig problems (just
the main angles) to the radical form.
cos(45deg) = \/(2)/2
sin(60deg) = \/(3)/2
sin(pi radians) = \/(2)/2
cos-1(0) = pi/2 radians
...etc...

it is still in its development phase.  would anyone be interested in
it?  it is for the 83, but could be very easily ported to any other
calc.  right now, it asks you at the beginning if you want to work in
rads or degrees, but i would like to make it so that you can switch
within the program.  as it is, it works like this:

promps for rads/degrees,
gives a colon-prompt.
gets imput as string
converts string to y1
gets value of y1
goes through list of values in if statements and looks for matching
value
if it finds matching value, displays decimal and radical form of answer
otherwise, displays decimal and fraction form of answer.  if cannot be
displayed as a fraction,
it just displays the decimal form.

i know that this program helped me immensely on trig tests.  i was too
stupid or lazy to memorize the unit circle (i have since learned it, but
too late ;-) ...)

i have attached the program to this message.  if you need it in text
format, just let me know, and i will see what i can do.  also, if you
try the program, please give me feedback - good or bad.

p.s. if anyone knows how i could display the answer in radical form any
way other than matching it with the list of answers, for example how to
make it know that 3.605551275 = \/(13) other than saying "if ans =
3.605551275 : then : disp(\/(13))" please let me know.  this would be a
tremendous improvement to the prog.

p.p.s.<assembly>  an asm version would be much faster, and smaller, and
could have more features, like a full blown shell.  could use the sto->
key.... am i right?  if so, i think it would be a program worth writing
in asm.

SINcerely,
Brian E. Ash
brian@communityonline.net

Warning
Could not process part with given Content-Type: application/x-zip-compressed; name="Trig.zip"