Re: A83: Basic prog compiling

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Basic prog compiling

On 03-Aug-98, Alan C Johnson wrote:

>I'm just saying that if you could find the core of the BASIC Assembler
>somewhere in the ROM (and I wouldn't be too suprised if Linus already
>has),  you'd only have to change it a little in order to make it so it
>permanatly compiles the program.  Let's say if the interpreter turns the
>BASIC code into ASM, you could modify it so it makes a program that calls
>_createprog and ldir the code to the new program.

Yes I have, but I don't "master" it completely yet. Still, I can say with 100%
certainty that what you're trying to do is impossible. (Not saying that you
can't do it anyway though.. =)) But the BASIC interpreter shares most of its
code with the parser. It is splattered all over the whole dozen of ROM pages,
and much of the system is built around it. When running a BASIC program, the
system jumps around in the ROM, keeping a pointer to the current command in
the program being executed. No assembly code is ever put into RAM during this
process. And compiling BASIC programs would generate fat, clumsy code, code
that can be found all over the ROM anyway. So it's no good idea, REALLY.

Linus