[A82] Re: TI82 ROM Version 19.006

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A82] Re: TI82 ROM Version 19.006

> Van: Dines Justesen <dines@aub.dk>
>
> > BTW: z88dk developers could just easely compile their source for both
the
> > Ti82 and Ti83(+), so there is not much of a problem there, oh yes,
people
> > around here hate Z80 compilers, forgot that...
>
> Using a compiler to make a shell would be rather hard, as some parts of
the
> shell has to be written in one particualr way to fit within the available
> memory. For programs a compiler would probably make it easier to support
> multiple platforms, but my guess is the program would take up more space.
> Has anyone looked into how good the compilers are? It would be
interesting
> to see how good the output from a compiler such as the z88dk is.

Oh, I didn't try to say to write a shell in C, no, didn't even think of the
idea at all... I jaut wanted to say that if some more people used the
compiler, we had enough games on both the Ti82 and Ti83(+).

There are some people around here who are spreading some rumours that you
could only create programs of at least 7kb, that is absolute nonsens! I can
just send you some programs that have been created using the z88dk (and
also run on most other platforms -from one single file!-) and you can see
that that isn't correct. I must say that, indeed, optimizing by hand can
(sometimes) give size and speed increases.

I've jsut been searching for new opts for the copt (the peephole optimizer)
rules file. It was quite difficult to find any... The *only* things that
might need some shaving are the equation-simplyfication and stupid jumping
around, something like this (fictive!):

	jp	i_2
.i_1
	jp	i_3
.blah
	[..]
.i_2
	jp	i_1
.i_3

Just say me what platforms you want, and if you have an old Z80 micro
computer around I could take a look if I can (also) compile for that one.

	Henk Poley

BTW: the extra dots are because of a little bug in my mailtool, the only
one I found! And that in a M$ product!