[A82] Re: TI82 ROM Version 19.006

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A82] Re: TI82 ROM Version 19.006

> I was more thinking of something like Venus, which does update the VAT and
> in such way, getkey-workarounds like in CrASH aren't needed. Some other
> conveniances are that this kind of shell is very small. But maybe because

Making a shell which is able to update the VAT after relocating a program in
a way which means that these hacks are not needed is not easy on the TI82. I
know that both the Crash team and I have tried to do it, but ended up with
some strange problems. So while it is a good idea, and was planned for the
next major update of both CrASH and Ash, neither of us got it working
properly.

> of instant-assembly-execution difficulties on the Ti82 you should need a
> graphical shell, but together they take up only about 1000 bytes (348 byte

It is posible to start assembly programs directly from the programs menu on
the TI82, but people seem too prefer having a shell. Should someone want to
make a shell which only used the programs menu, that would take up less
space, and would not be much harder to do.

> program loader (Venus), 508 bytes shell (Venus Explorer), and some libs).
> The program loader itself can be located inside the stack.

The size does depend on how nice an interface you want for the shell, but
also what functions you include in the shell. IF you include more function
the shell will be bigger, but the programs smaller, so that is not an easy
decision. If both the currently supported ROM versions and 19.006 are to be
supported, the number of ROM calls which can be used without problems is
very limited, so I shell would probably have to include more functions to
compensate for this.

Dines