Re: A82: ASM on 19.006 (PROBLEMS???)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: ASM on 19.006 (PROBLEMS???)

> > - A new ROM_CALL function which uses the ZShell method*
> Could you remind what it consists in?

Instead of passing the addr of a function is passed an index to a table of
addrs of known ROM functions. Other methods are ofcourse possible, but this
one is the easiest to implement.

> > - All programs would have to be recompiled
> Because of the shift of the address at the very begining of the ROM (where
> address where constant)

All the addrs which are considered constant where moved in the new ROM
version. Besides that the offset used in current shell is not a constant any
more.

> > - The new ROM_CALL might be longer requiering other functions included
in
> > the shell to be moved (and all programs using addrs in the shell might
have
> > to be changed)
> I don't think it's a big problem because very few progs use the ROM_CALL
in an
> intensive way.

The function would be longer in bytes, not slower as in seconds. This means
that unless you split the code for the ROM CALL function into two parts the
functions located at fixed addrs in the shell would have to be moved.

> > - ROM CALLs needed to implement VAT compatible relocation should be
included
> Yes, it's the fashion ;-)

The ought to be a function which removes all temp stuff from mem, including
that one and the insert delete mem functions should be all that is needed.

> Well, I think some problems would be very hard to solve: the statram only
> available on the TI83, the different way to manage the link port...

I was thinking that making sure that the same functions are available in the
shell might making the porting of programs easier.

> According to the plan of CrASH_Man, he is working on the problem. I have
to say
> that I would be very happy if only one shell subsisted on the ti82. May be
you
> could ask Hideaki if he is interested by your source code to give it a
little
> boost.

I have talked to Hideaki before (but not about the new ROM version) and I am
sure he wont have a problem making a shell which work on all ROM versions.
The real question is whether it is worth spending the time on a project like
that, it seems to me that very few people are using the TI82. As most people
know it has Ash 3.1 has takne me forever to finish, so the chance of me
finishing another shell is not very high. Last time I thought about what to
do with Ash I pretty much decided to release the source for Ash, but haven't
had the time to put all the files together. Personally I think that making a
new shell an open source project, and then only having one shell (or several
compatible shells) would probably be the best solution, but we will see.

Dines