A82: Input routine

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A82: Input routine

Hey, how's everybody's winter vacation going? Mine's been okay. I've been working on adding editing features to TxtView. Actually I'm thinking of calling it KEdit from now on (K is for Kouri :)). Yes, I know there's already a KDE application with the same name, but I'm a conceited bastard so I don't care. :) Anyway, I would like to get a demo out sometime, but I'm kinda having trouble making a good input routine. What I need is to map a whole lot of characters to different key combinations. This is what I have so far: There are four possible characters for each key (normal, alpha, 2nd, and extended mode). The layout is what it looks like on the calc. I hope everyone can follow this:

  a     b     c    `  <- normal
  A     B     C    ~  <- alpha
  !   degree ???   |  <- 2nd
alpha  beta gamma  \  <- extended

 d  e  f  g  h
 D  E  F  G  H
??? =  >  <  pi
??? != >= <= ^

 i      j       k  l   m
 I      J       K  L   M
sqrt sci.not.E  {  }  ???
 ^2     ,       (  )  divide

 n  o p q r
 N  O P Q R
??? & * ( [
??? 7 8 9 *

 s  t u v w
 S  T U V W
??? $ % ^ ]
??? 4 5 6 -

 x  y z theta  '
 X  Y Z theta  "
??? ! @   #   ???
sto 1 2   3    +

   space .  /
   space ,  ?
     )   :  _
     0   ;  -

All the '???'s mean is that I don't know what to put there yet. Some keys repeat, so that could change also. I would really like it if everyone would tell me what key preferences they have, because I want to make this as user-friendly and intuitive as possible. I tried to make it so that the normal mode gives the lowercase equivalent of the alpha keys on the calc, alpha mode gives the uppercase, extended mode gives what is actually on the calc's keys, and 2nd works as a shift for the extended keys. I have no idea as to going about and mapping the various characters to each key. Any ideas or code snippets would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone can think of a better name than what I've got already, I'd like to hear that too. :) Well, happy holidays.

-Kouri
http://pages.hotbot.com/edu/kouri

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com