Re: A82: Hex editors

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Hex editors

>    Exactly what is a hex editor used for? How is it used?
>      Just curious, I see there are 2 of them in the CrASH archives.

hex editors are used to change bytes in the memory.

For example: if you take picross and you know what byte to change, you
could change the $00 of BestLevel to $20. This way, you can start at level 32
immediately.

If there was $3E $10 (ld a,$10) you could change it to $1E $10 (ld e,$10)

It is also possible to change text with a hex editor. Some people like to
change the authors name on a program to their own so they can impress
their friends.

Knurft
 knurft@unicall.be
Knurft's Home