A82: Finger power!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A82: Finger power!

>Here is a crazy idea for those who want to save batteries.  Your body
>is a
>salt bridge and conducts a small amount of electricity, right?
Unfortunately, the 'Salt Bridge' idea of your body is not entirely
plausible because at the maximum
a human, from head to toe, can only produce 2.2Volts at way, way less
than an Amp.

But, this can seem solveable if we have very efficent devices, using only
the
necessary components, but, in the long run, solar power is much better.

The bigger problem is that your body (unless you're an alien) has about 1
KiloOhm of resistance,
 which makes it insane to think that stable electricity can be harnessed
out of the body.

>Okay,
>what
>if we created a small device that connects two wires to the sides of
>your
>pinky finger
Even less energy than before. And you'd look like a geek!

>and boosted the output from your body to 6 volts to power
>your
>calc?
Risky.  The transformer would be too much to carry, and would slow down
the current.

>Then to cover all bases to avoid future messages, the calc
>would use
>the batteries to power it
Good idea, but then the components that run at 6 volts at a very high
wattage
would be in it and we can only pump out about 2V and minescule wattage.

> The finger part
>of
>the device could use a velcro strap to hold it in place and some type
>of
>conducting plate
Remids me of the potato clock experiment I had as a boy...

>So, what do you think.  Is this possible?  I know that some "new"
>technology is coming out that will power your CD-player with a similar
>method.
Where did you find this?

>  If your finger can power a CD-player then I think it could
>power
>your calc.
I seriously doubt either one.

> ASM programs that take a long time to play eat a lot of
>electricity and something like this could spare my batteries and time
>recharging (I hate waiting 24 hours for my really old recharger to
>finish
>recharging those small AAA batteries).
Don't go though the hassle... and stop watching Star Trek... : )

> Would this be cheap to make
>($5-$15)?
Nay.  You're looking at a specially-made transformer,
with relays and voltage regulators and stuff like that. +$100 would be a
start.
You'd be better off buying a new charger or investing in nuclear power or
Biodiesel.
If anyone can make this and keep it working for longer than a few minutes
with
out passing out from the electrolyte waste, i'll eat my shit.

Oh, and an interesting thing is that it poisons you...
(We have salt and water naturally, given)
NaCl (Salt) > Broken for energy >>> Na    Cl
Na> reacts violently with water, setting off a reaction and unlinking the
Hydrogens from the oxygen
Na + 2 H2 O = H2(+) H(+) (Na HO2) < Sodium Hydroxide, most powerful
alkaline.
Cl (from salt) + H = HCl <Hydrogen Chloride, most powerful acid.
NaHO and HCl damage the crap out of your cells, until they meet again,
combining to salt water, which is broken again...
A very cruel and painful death : (
(Personally, I'd rather be shot)

Oh, the watch Bryan mentioned runs off of kinetic power, when you move it
runs a turbine.  Nothing to do with a salt bridge.

TheCubic
thecubic@juno.com
http://thor.prohosting.com/~thecubic

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Follow-Ups: References: