A82: Re: Why make hardware upgrade? CMPRS!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A82: Re: Why make hardware upgrade? CMPRS!!!

Someone did think of compressing the vars on the TIs, I first heard of
this project right after ZShell 3.0 was released (which is a long time
ago), and it has been mentioned in varius places since then. Every time
someone has decided to look into this he has found out the the program to
compress data would take up more space than it would save (it is hard to
compress programs, they are fairly random !). Because of this i find it
very unlikely that a program like this would be a good idea, but of course
you can not be sure before you try.

Several ways for compressing data has been found on the TI's and they do
save a lot of space, if you are storing pics (and maybe levels too). I
have mentioned some of these rutines on this list before (including my own
version of RLE), so if you are interested in using one of these
algorithmes, have a look at ticalc.

To anyone who are making games which for the TI82 : Do you comress your
data ? why not ?
Compressing data can save a lot of space, and it is not hard to do, so
maybe it should be included.

Dines