Re: Clarification (was: Re: A82: PROPOSAL: TI-82 "Enhancement" Project)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Clarification (was: Re: A82: PROPOSAL: TI-82 "Enhancement" Project)

<snip>

>  > Nathan suggested that the ROM was rewritten from scratch. I believe that
>  > is not possible, unless you only plan to include a few functions.
>
>  Hmmm, why not?  We've got the info for interfacing with most of the
>  hardware, it seems, so that's not a problem.

I think what he means is that it wouldn't be feasible because of memory
limitations on the calc, impossible to test, etc, blah, blah

>  > Therefore the best solution is proably to modify the existing ROM, so it
>  > supports assembly, and things like that. The developers of the "new" ROM
>  > would then release a program which modifed a ROM dump so it included all
>  > the new features.
>  [snippage]
>  > A lot of the functions included in the TI82 ROM are slow, and it would be
>  > easy to write functions which where faster. If the project was done like
>  > suggested, all the slow functions could be rewritten, giving you a faster
>  > TI82.
>
>  OK, no, this is not how it should be done.  Let me explain why not, and
>  what I had in mind in the first place.
>
>  First, we can't just go messing around with TI's ROM, enhancing it, and
>  then just handing out copies of our enhancements to everyone.  This
>  would violate copyright laws.

correct

>  Now, if I understand your proposal correctly, what you are trying to say
>  is that to avoid the copyright issue, we would release a program that
>  would modify a person's ROM dump instead of distributing the ROM dump as
>  a whole.  Sort-of like a patch file.  This would STILL not work as 1)
>  our code is still based on TI's and 2) even if TI agreed to this, we
>  couldn't get it to cooperate with ALL the ROM versions out there because
>  it would be necessary for us to come up with patches for ALL the ROM
>  versions.  Puke. :-(

<huge snip>

>  I really am not sure what you mean when you say that it would be hard to
>  write up a ROM/OS from scratch, Dines.  We've got most of the docs for
>  the hardware we need, most of which were supplied by you. :-)  The only
>  real complications here are a) the hardware upgrade to accommodate the
>  new OS and b) the dual-boot stuff, because two OSes can't share the same
>  memory space for data, so I suppose to do that we'd need to upgrade the
>  RAM capacity of the TI as well.  The Z80 can definitely address more
>  than 32K, so it's possible. :-)  We just gotta figure how to do it. ;-)
>
>  TTFN,
>
>  --
>  +-----+--------------------------------------------------+-----+
>  |     | Nathan Anderson - nathana@blarg.net   15 yrs old |     |
>  |     |         -== NUMERUS UNUS DOLATOR SUM ==-         |     |
>  |     +--------------------------------------------------+     |
>  |                                                              |
>  | +----------------------------------------------------------+ |
>  | | UNITY: Just Think(tm)                                    | |
>  | | http://www.blarg.net/~aerie/Unity/                       | |
>  | | Webmaster, 4-H Computers of Snohomish County, WA         | |
>  | | http://4hcomp-sno-wa.home.ml.org/                        | |

The Z80 can only address 64K of memory, and the calc allocates 32K for the ROM
and 32K for the RAM

~Adamman

PS sorry for the late post, aol wouldn't let me read this mail (don't ask)