A82: Dune II

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A82: Dune II

        Heyas..I've decided my next game is to be Dune II. It's
originally a PC game, that was the predecessor to games such as
Warcraft and Command & Conquer. My version is going very well, I'd love
to give out a screenshot, but the 82 doesnt seem to have any progs to
capture screenshots...
    The game screen is divided into 3 "screens". The left sidebar is
the menu bar..that you cycle through...operating most functions in the
game...except when you want to actually tell a unit to do something).
Then there is the topbar, which shows your credits and the day #, and
other messages, like when you go to build something--it tells you the
cost, and prompts you to "place building". Also displays other messages
like "you're under attack!" The main window, however, is the lower
right one...which displays the map. By pressing DEL from the main menu
(del de-selects, 2nd selects, like in all my games), you can access the
main map...scroll around in it...access specific building functions
(such as harvest spice, build unit, etc..).

   Anyhow, so far i have done:
        The menu bars (you can scroll thru main+build menu)
        The build menu is done (you can build the first 4 things, and
place them on the map...you can only place next to adjacent buildings,
just like the original)
        Scrolling map, 8x8 tiles
        Ability to place buildings (the ones that i've done, at least)
        Map is animated (similar to the way little dude was animated,
cept you can see

    I plan to add much more...havent touched the war part yet...or even
the actual meat of the game. But I do have a good engine started, and
I'm very familiar with it. The battles, after a long deciding..wont be
realtime--that was never really an option--but will be cool...if anyone
has ever played Shining Force, that is how they will be.
Meaning...yes...even when i try to make a pure strategy game, some
element of RPG slips in :) I think this way will be really cool, and
even more strategic. Also, a new thing I plan to add is
research...where you get new technology thru researching it.
       Any ideas? does this sound good, bad? What I have said, is all
possible, and I already know how I'll do it.
                                                ~Kurai
                                      "for me everyday is halloween"