A82: Re: Game Wizard v2.0 bug discovered!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A82: Re: Game Wizard v2.0 bug discovered!!!

>This method is okay except when Game Wizard is located at any point of
the
>relocation.  This happens most when Game Wizard is before any other ASM
>program and that program is run.  What happens is Game Wizard is torn
apart
>during the relocation process and the interrupt checksum function
assumes
>that it is in one piece and not two.  So, when it calls the routine to
>enter Game Wizard, unpredictable things can happen which will ultimately
>result in a crash.  So, in reality the bug isn't my fault but Dines
>Justesen's for using a faulty relocation routine.

When I decided to include relocation in Ash 3.0 i was aware that it would
mean the programs like Game Wizard would need a few changes, but since
Game Wizard was the only program of that kind I did not think it would be
a problem. At that time I had no idear that you where going to release an
Ash 3.0 version of the program without making the small changes which was
needed.

You (Thomas) have made a program for Ash 3.0
which crashes some times when you use Ash. This is NOT my fault ! The
problem could be avaoided with a few lines of code, you chose not to
include it and that is why your program crash. (If you send me the source
I might be willing to correct MY error in YOUR program :-) ).

>HINT:  If you really want to use Game Wizard v2.0, just reload it back
onto
>your calc whenever you wish to use a game so that it will appear as the
>last item on the ASH menu.

HINT: Rewrite Game Wizard so it does not crash !!!

>HINT to Dines:  Use the block relocation method that I previously have
>mentioned which will preserve programs such as Game Wizard and will allow
>for other programs like Dying Eyes (which also has a problem with
>relocation due to it's size of over 13K).

The problem with Dying Eyes is NOT because of the method, it is a small
error in the relocation code. The only problem with that kind of
relocation is that programs like Game Wizard gets harder to make, and the
problem with KEY_HAND.

If you read the documentation for Ash you will find the following lines:

August 1997 : Version 3.0
              Simpel relocation added.

Can you guess why I chose to call it Simpel relocation ??

Before I made Ash 2.0 i had already thought of a relocation method which I
wanted to use for Ash, the only problem was that i needed some functions
which I had not found in the TI82 ROM. After releasing Ash 2.0 I thought
of a simpler method for relocating programs, and that is what I used in Ash 3.0.
Since I had to methods for relocation, one which was simpel, and one which
was more advanced, I decided to call them Simpel/Advanced relocation.

Advanced relocation has several advantages, it makes it possible to use
KEY_HAND with out problems, it makes it possible to use the build in VAR
routines, and making programs like Game Wizard gets easier. I am planning
to include Advanced relocation in Ash 4.0, but it is quite hard to get it
to work (due to the way the memory is organized on the TI82).

Dines

BTW I can not remeber you suggesting any relocation method for the TI82 on
this list.

Dines Justesen
Email: dines@post1.com or
       c958362@student.dtu.dk